Volunteer for Play 2 Learn
EVENT DATE & TIME
25 May, 2019 - 29 Dec, 2019
EVENT WEBSITELEARN MORE
Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya
Play 2 Learn is a youth programme that encourages play-based learning activities among children in poor urban communities to reduce their mobile addiction and screen time.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds with various skill sets to offer. Selected volunteers will assist Global Peace to design and facilitate workshop activities for PPR children, which are aimed to increase their social and communication skills, through positive interactions and character-building.
- Limited choice of outdoor activities due to lack of facilities have led to a culture of screen addiction; 90% of youths have mobile phones and spend up to 6 hours a day with their gadgets
- These youths come from low-income families and may drop-out from school to work or take care of their siblings
- Lack of adult figure to guide them after school; in these communities, kids are prone to loitering, drugs, and vandalism
- 120 children in 2 PPR (public low-cost housing) communities
- 6 – 13 year olds
- 4 / 8 hour sessions on weekends
- 6 trainers (Global Peace staff) and 30 volunteers
- Participate in outdoor play-based learning activities with the youths
- Organise community service for the youths and the community
- Provide counselling sessions and classes
- Mentor children in workshops
- Teach performing arts, arts and crafts, and writing
- Coach sports like volleyball, football, etc.
- Share gardening skills, DIY workshops, carpentry, vocational skills, etc.
If you wish to share your time meaningfully with us by uplifting the PPR communities in Play 2 Learn, do register to volunteer with us. Apply via http://bit.ly/2Wrb2n4.
Please visit event organizer website/page or email organizers at [email protected]balpeace.org.my for registration procedures.